On the 15th August 1955. Ted Phyall with a few friends, met with the aim to form
Chessington British Legion Bowling Club. A circular was sent to 31 men, 28 lived in
Chessington, one each in Tolworth, Surbiton and New Malden.
the 12th January 1956 a committee was formed and it was decided that the club be
known as Chessington Bowling Club. An application was made to join the Surrey Bowling
Association which was accepted.
Surbiton Council agreed to the use of
the old football pavilion for changing facilities, and
catering facilities were shared with the British Legion Cricket Club.
Originally it was a men only club, but in 1985 a ladies section was formed.
The club has been and still
is successful in various District Leagues and Competitions, and
has a full fixture list of both league and friendly matches.
Over the years members have won their Surrey Badge and play for the County.